Sunday, March 30, 2008

See Ourselves as Others See Us

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!"
Robert Burns - To a Louse

When I first read these words by Robert Burns, I thought he had really nailed it. Why can't people see themselves as others see them? Then as I have thought about this over the years, I realize that the words apply to me rather than to someone else. Why can't I see myself as others see me? If you pursue this type of introspection long and hard enough, you will find some very highly evolved dimensions of deception and self deception that are difficult to admit and accept. You will also get closer to the truth, where it is very lonely.

A great song and great performance. Too bad Michael can't see the man in the mirror any better than the rest of us.

No comments:

 

Poodwaddle.com