Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Copper to Fiber


Technically this blog is no longer Hog Wallow Switch #2. On 1 November 2018 they replace our 40 year old copper line with fiber optic cable. The fiber cable comes off a switch station at Crutcher lane instead of Hog Wallow #2. While switching from copper to fiber may not seem all that significant to some, it has not only been a significant technological event for me, but also, kind of an emotional event.
Changing from Hog Wallow to Crutcher Lane not only impacts on this Blogs name, but also, stirs some personal nostalgia. My dad slopped hogs at Hog Wallow when I was born and the Crutcher boys grew up on a farm about 2 miles from us. My dad and mom are gone as well as the Crutcher boys parents and 2 of the boys.
On a technology level switching to fiber is another milestone that I have witnessed in communication technology. I remember when we got our first television. Of course it was black and white with a small, fuzzy, ghost ridden screen. I also remember getting our first phone. It was rotary dial and on a party line with 4 neighbors. I also remember Sputnik and Pioneer the first satellites.
Since then I have watched tv evolve from black and white to color, from over the air (OTA) broadcast with poor signals to cable, satellite and digital OTA and internet streaming. The tv receivers have also evolved from cathode ray tube sets that cost more than a car to LED and other evolving digital formats that are large, crystal clear and cost less than a refrigerator.
Phones have evolved from rotary party lines to private lines, pulse dial, cordless phones and now cell phones.
I don't know what the next great leap of technology may be and I may not even be around to see it. But, for now we will keep the Blog name so that we remember where we came from and try to make more frequent posts than two and half years.

No comments:

 

Poodwaddle.com