Sunday, September 28, 2008

Winter Forecast



There are always a lot of predictions about the weather for the coming winter season. One of my annual rituals is to check the persimmon seeds. The above photo show 12 seeds that I cut open. Seven of these are spoons, one is a fork and the other four are not clearly distinguishable. The farmers almanac explains what the different shapes mean.

My prediction is that we will have bad luck this winter because when I cut the 13th seed I sliced my thumb open with the utility knife. I normally hold the seeds with needle nose pliers and cut them open, but this year I was in a hurry and just held them between my thumb and index finger. Another fact about persimmon seeds are that they are very slippery. It's another case of I know better but just didn't do better. You would think at my age I would learn.

If you don't trust the Farmer's Almanac forecast here is another forecast from a local "barnyard scientist" about 10 miles down the road.

No comments:

 

Poodwaddle.com